Monday 8 November 2010

hummmm.....

I have a service user, *Jane, who suffers from
MS (multiple sclerosis) who is fully dependent on
others for all of her daily living activities.
Jane is lovely but she has a friend who is very
difficult to work with which is a total challenge for me.
I feel his is too much in control but it is not clear whether
how much Jane relies on him and how much he is controlling.
My line manager is supporting me with the case by
meeting the friend and Jane and I do all the ground
work behind the scenes.

I rang Jane today to make an appointment for this Wednesday
but Jane couldn't confirm it before speaking to her friend.
It may or may not happen....then another delay,
Jane cannot afford to not to have services as her
pressure sores are getting worse. Yet again, this is my thoughts
when Jane has mental capacity to make her own decisions.

I was just angry with Jane's friend and felt very sorry for Jane.
I don't have to but I did and most of it will be my own
frustration of not seeing progress.
I had a good day at work and felt quite down after the
phone call. I don't know why, I came home with a heavy heart.

*Jane- name has been altered due to confidentiality. 

4 comments:

  1. hummmm...it sounds very stressful situation for you to deal with.

    I am clueless about all the circumstances but would think that it is natural for her to rely on his male friend who might be sharing her life together more than she does with you...

    That could mean you may have to honor his opinion and work with him as well in good ways I guess. I've just prayed that our Mighty helper makes him to be cooperative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a very difficult case not because of Jane's needs but due to the resistance from both of them not accepting equipments to start with. Please, don't get me wrong,I value his input but he has to trust us and work with us. There are at least seven professionals involved and we are all so overwhelmed by him.

    Thank you for your prayer, I hope that there is something I will learn from this process which I will enhance my knowledge and skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, trust me. I've been in similiar situations for myself plenty times and know what you're goin through.

    I had a teacher who needed my help. I am an expert and knew exactly what she needed. But her department chair thought he knew what she needed better than I did and started controling everything behind the scene causing me stuck on every single turn and corner and made me extremely frustrated.

    My apologies if I gave you an impression that I was scolding your behaviour but I wasn't at all.

    Over the years, I've learned that I have to transform myself into a flexible stick instead of a stiff one when the challenges come in my way and that's because they may break me if I stay stiff. Being flexible for me means being open-minded, "working-things-out-together" attitude with them.

    Sorry, I think I've gone too far. ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you are online too from far far away! I didn't misunderstand you at all. I know what you wanted to say, don't worry! Thank you again for sharing your experience with me.

    Yes, certainly transforming oneself and being flexible are great virtues in general but for a social worker is so crucial. I think I would like those virtue to mature as time goes on.

    Night is deep, better head for bed!

    ReplyDelete