Tuesday 24 April 2012

Rachmaninov

Philharmonia orchestra @ royal festival hall

Conductor... Leif Segerstam
Piano... Denis Matsuev

Sibelius Nightride and Sunrise
Rachmaninov Piano concerto no. 2
Tchaikovsky Symphony no. 2


Rachmaninov Piano concerto no. 2 is one of my favourite pieces and it always makes my hair stand whenever I listen to especially live. This was the main piece I went for tonight. I go to listen to this piece at least once a year and interestingly someone will be playing it. A piece in demand by londoners!

I also love Rachmainiov's Piano concerto no.3, which many people will remember through the film 'Shine'. One of the most demanding piano work for performers to accomplish. The pianist's play was very sharp and clean. I will certainly look out for him again. For Rachmaninov fans, pianist, Nikolai Lugansky is another Rachmaninov player who appears is London quite frequently.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment