Monday 5 September 2011

New Diagnosis

I was on duty from Friday which was a killer when I was still so jetlagged!
I actually could not stay till 5pm and my colleagues have been covering
the last hour for me.

I did not process many cases but took all the calls as it kept me awake.
A service user who I worked with over a year rang and my admin passed the
call to me as she is very difficult to understand over the telephone.
She always sounds drunk in fact 10 out of 8 times she is sober,
few of her front teeth are missing which makes her sound drunk when she is not.
So I have been taking a lot of her calls though I am no longer allocated to
the case. It has been awhile I spoke to her and she broke a very
bad news that she is now diagnosed with lung cancer!
She does smoke a lot but that is bad news. I have not took such a
phone call for a long time, and it was painful as I know her quite well.

The call made me think cancer hits anyone at anytime.
I was pretty calm and knowing her I knew what to say to her today
but it was a very sad moment. There was no immediate action required
at this stage but it is the progress that is going to change her life.
I get to appreciate about life more whenever I encounter moments like this
and I try to put my thoughts into action without hesitation
as life is sometimes so short to wait.....
but there are certain things in life you have to wait for.

Is there anything I am waiting for now?

No comments:

Post a Comment