Wednesday 9 February 2011

Appraisal 2010-2011

Yes, it is about time again. 
Last year has gone past so quickly that I cannot 
recall some of the things I did, personally and professionally. 
I had my appraisal with my line manager few days ago and 
I think(!) I have achieved all the targets. We discussed my weak points too. 
Dealing with difficult people is particularly hard for me. 

I become very distressed and upset sometimes, which I shouldn't
take it personally but it does hit you personally at first. 
I have to think about some of the coping strategies when a conversation 
becomes unmanageable and aggressive.
I had a case de-allocated as I could not work with the partner of one of 
my service users. He was very hard on me and I broke down in tears 
one day talking to him, but he did not have any idea what he was doing....
I hope to develop some coping mechanisms in working with difficult people
over time with the support from my very experienced manager. 
Maybe I need to be more blunt with them. We shall see. 

Also, I would like to start my post-qualifing course this year
to be trained as a practice assessor to assist student social workers 
on placement.  I had such a postive experience with my both placements, 
which one was in which I am working now. So I am working alongside 
my previous practice assesssor in the team. It is so true that my 
team would have over a hundred years worth of experience if I add
the years the social workers have worked so far. That is something!
I am one of the youngest in the team, just over two years in practice.

Overall, I had a very good year, professionally and personally. 
I managed to go to Taize and Cuba which I was thinking for a 
very long time. I now have quite a few stories to share. 
I look forward to what 2011 has to bring me....:)





2 comments:

  1. I hope you've received a good review.

    In USA, most of work places have the appeal option so that a reviewee can object to the reviewer about his or her performance review. Then the both will discuss together about how to adjust to the agreeable one that both can agree. If it doesn't work out, then you can go up higher.

    Sometimes it's better swallowing it up instead of fighting back even though you feel like you didn't deserve and not fair. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I had a good review. I'm not madly wanting an increment. I feel that if I have done enough to deserve an increment I'm sure my manager will be approving it. But certainly can be a booster!

    ReplyDelete