Friday 25 February 2011

A break through?

I went to see one of my MND service user this afternoon. 
Social workers rarely have cases more than 6 months but 
it was agreed that with MND cases I see through the whole process 
e.g. till they die. Reason being, the cases are often
complex and changes can occur relatively quickly. 
I had four MND cases two service users passes away and 
the remain two service users are doing well. 

Jane* was diagnosed in March 2010 and I assisted her
discharge from hospital to moving into an accessible house
with her family. Long process! She has two children aged 19 and 14. 
She is a faithful christian who firmly believes that God will cure her. 
I can understand where she is coming from but her belief
sometimes hindered some of the provisions for the family as whole. 
She has been quite reluctant to talk about her future plans. 
However, I use the trust I have built over the year to suggest 
whether she will be interested in drawing up a will. 
I used my personal experience of talking about a will with 
my parents as I wanted to respect their dignity and wishes. 


I was so pleased that I was able to discuss about this sensitive issue
with lots of laughter and joy rather than anything else. 
I was quite nervous to start the topic but it just came along quite naturally. 
She paused a little at first but she relaxed as I talked about 
my own experience. I will take this very slowly and gently
with the palliative care team and I hope this will empower Jane 
to have more choices of what she wants for her. 
Yes, I do wish that she has a 'good death' with all the things 
in place with the blessing from her family. 

I am quite happy about today's visit and 
I can go off Tango dancing with a joyful heart!!!

*Jane's name has been altered due to confidentiality.   



No comments:

Post a Comment