Wednesday 9 February 2011

Paul Gauguin

Tate Modern
30 Sept 2010 - 16 Jan 2011


I went to see Gauguin's exhibition at the end of Oct 2010
but I just could not write about it. 
He is one of my favourite artist among all 
and read so much about him and I loved him. 
However, seeing so much of his work at once was
I think quite overwhelming in a negative way.  
This is the first exhibition that I felt depressed afterwards.
Not sure if you know what I mean....
I guess I was so attached to Gauguin and admired his works
to an extend that I even engaged at an emotional level.  

**************
I first encounter with Gauguin was not through his art works 
but through 'The moon and sixpense' by Somerset Maugham
when I was a teenager who had wild imaginations.
It gave me a sense of freedom in how he was living his life. 
Then shortly after I saw the film 'Total Eclipse' which 
reminded me of the life of Gauguin though it is based on 
a French poet, Rimbaud. I enjoyed the film but it did not 
get good reviews and Dicaprio commented that it was his worst film.

**************
I got to see some of the pieces that I really wanted to see. 
I preferred his earlier works and I was surprised that 
I felt quite sad seeing this late works where his 
fantasies and dreams come to live
and his primitiveness that I liked is mostly reflected.
Discovering so much of his calculated aspect of 
his work and approach to art may have put me off 
slightly as I don't only enjoy his painting on its own
but his values and attitude towards his art which was
disappointing at times. Of course, there is no doubt 
that he was a great artist but it was my relationship 
with him that had some discrepancy that I found 
difficult to come to terms with.  

 Tate Modern was using an iPod 
for its audio guide which was quite impressive. 
I was tempted to just run away with it!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment