Tuesday 20 July 2010

Assessments Assessments

(A thought after work on Monday 19th July 2010)

Weather was beautiful to cycle rather hot actually. 

I had two home visits this afternoon.
The visits got me thinking on my way home. 
The two very different services users were both
eligible for services and had 14 hours per week of 
home care that includes personal care and practical work.  
Both have Direct Payments for their service provision. 
However, one's heath condition seems to be worse than 
the other's, both have some number of hours. 
One service user's needs were assessed initially by me and
I also set up the service for her. The other service user's 
needs were reviewed by another social worker 
who has reduced the hours few months ago. 

I just wondered whether there would ever be 
an objective assessment.
All of us work with one eligilbility criteria 
and the same legislations, but at times we have 
different views on a particular circumstance.
I guess we are human beings with free will to think and carrying 
our own values that is reflected in our assessments. 

Value judgement? Generous? Tough?



No comments:

Post a Comment