Tuesday 1 November 2011

Intuition

I was allocated a cancer service user in September.
My gut feelings were telling me that we might have lost her.....I do not know why....

She was suffering from an advance stage of ovarian cancer
who was waiting for a major surgery. I followed up to the point
that her surgery was a few days delayed and requested the palliative
care nurse to contact me for discharge plans. I contacted the nurse twice and
left messages and sent emails for an update but did not receive any form of
contacts from the nurse.

I picked up the phone and dialed the service user's mobile number then had a feeling
that this was a wrong move. So I rang the GP instead and I was informed
that she has passed away two weeks ago....as I thought.
I was glad that I did not ring her phone or any of the family members as I have not met
them and it would have been so distressing for them if I had rang to arrange a visit
when the person has passed away.

How interesting that I had the feeling that she might have passed away?
Yes, I think you need sharp observation skills, a cold head, a warm heart and
the ability to trust your intuitions as a social worker.

May she rest in peace.....

No comments:

Post a Comment