Wednesday 25 August 2010

Student Social Worker

London was wet all day long, the heaven's open!
Well, it started off sunny as you can see.

I had a student social worker shadowing me all day at work. 
So I went in early and did some preparations...
a chair, some case files for her to read, and some text books. 
I had a joint visit with a colleague, which gave the student a
good insight of what social workers actually do. It was rather a 
complex case but I think we achieved what we wanted. 



















There are quite a few elements to pass a social work course in terms of practice related areas;

1. Shadowing (3-5 days)
Goldsmiths College, University of London, where I was trained, I had to organise 5 days of shadowing in my first year (I've done a BA course.) I remember so clearly how daunting it was to make the first phone call!

2. 200 days of practice placements
This is normally arranged via the practice tutor in each universities. Goldsmiths ensured that one of the placement to be a statutory one. I was fortunate to have two statutory placements and my current work was one of them! I guess my previous work experience was all voluntary sector so it worked out very well.
The 200 days are split between 2nd and 3rd year for the BA course and 1st and 2nd year for the MA. (Most MA course in the UK are one year but Social Work is two years because of placements.)

I have very surprised how much I remembered and most of the theories came naturally. But when I went through some of the text books, it was so strange and I couldn't get by fingers around it easily. I just thought how much I wanted to go back to studies and when I actually start the 'Practice Teaching Course' to become a practice teacher on placement, it may give me a clearer direction for my doctoral topical area. 

All social workers have to undertake post-qualification course to keep up with the changes in practice and legislation. As part of this I can train to be a practice teacher on placement to guide students through their 100 odd days of placement. I heard from my two colleagues that it is rewarding and keep you at your toes with the latest practice issues, but challenging to fit all in with the normal caseload! Tough! 

It was very empowering day and really enjoyed it! And I think she liked the day too. I think I painted well in the morning for her to be relaxed and feel comfortable :)



No comments:

Post a Comment