Friday 8 October 2010

Loss of functions.....

What would you do if you have lost your left arm?
Maybe even as small as your big toe. 
It will affect your balance.

I had a flu jab and pneumonia jab today.
I try to have a flu jab every year due to my heart condition.
But the nurse today suggested I have a pneumonia jab too.
(Apparently, you only need it every 10 years!)
I was slightly suspicious and I also hesitated then she gave 
me the instruction paper in the box of the vial. 
Then ensured me that it would be safe to have it and
considering my medical history it would be beneficial.
Ok, I had it on my right arm (high), after about 5 hours, 
it started to swell up a bit and I cannot really left my arm
but can do movements such as e.g. typing....
Toileting is slightly difficult as I find taking my trousers off 
painful but still doable. Now thinking I should have had it
on my left arm! Anyway, this is only so minor and temporary.

This simple example got me thinking about one of my service user
(Jude) who suffers from MND (Motor Neurone Disease) who does not
have any upper and lower limb functions. I had to write a letter
to her housing officer explaining why she cannot visit the property to
sign her tenancy agreement. She did not understand why
my service user couldn't sign then she asked whether she could
make a mark...I said to her very unlikely....she just about moves
her thumb to press a very soft button.
I cannot even imagine what Jude went through by losing so much
of her functionalities. It would have been a bereavement process,
as it is a lose of her abilities to use her limbs.

I was feeling a bit fad up with the case today as it's just so
complex and it's a hurdle after hurdle. Though I was expecting it.
You just feel tired sometimes. Of course, I empathise with Jude,
yet I am also a human being after all!




2 comments:

  1. 케이스맡은 분들을 이해하려 하시는 모습을 뵈니 좋습니다. 불평불만만 돌아오는 것 같아도 그 분들 속으로 감사하고 있을겁니다. 빨리 붓고 아픈게 나으시길...^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. 소신껏 일하고 있는데 그랬으면 합니다. 어제 완전히 감기 몸살을 앓고 이젠 좀 괜찮네요. 고맙습니다.

    ReplyDelete